PENGARUH HARGA DAN KUALITAS PRODUK SEBAGAI PENENTU KEPUASAN NASABAH PT BANK MUAMALAT INDONESIA, TBK KCU MEDAN SUDIRMAN

  • Asiah Politeknik Negeri Medan
  • Marlya Fatira AK Politeknik Negeri Medan
  • Rizal Agus Politeknik Negeri Medan
Keywords: Price;Product Quality;Customer Satisfaction

Abstract

This research was conducted to determine the effect of the price and quality of the iB Muamalat Savings product on Customer Satisfaction at PT Bank Muamalat Indonesia, Tbk KCU Medan Sudirman. The research method is using questioners with the number of respondents are 137 orang.  The data analysis method is using multiple linear regression by using SPSS 22. The results of this study indicate the price has a strong and significant positive effect of 0.550 on customer satisfaction at PT Bank Muamalat Indonesia, Tbk KCU Medan Sudirman and the quality of iB Muamalat Savings products have a strong and significant positive effect amounting to 0.711 to customer satisfaction at PT Bank Muamalat Indonesia, Tbk KCU Medan Sudirman. The price and quality of the iB Muamalat Savings product simultaneously have a positive and significant effect with the coefficient of determination (R2) of 0.526, which mean the ability of the price and quality of iB Muamalat Savings products to customer satisfaction at PT Bank Muamalat Indonesia, Tbk KCU Medan Sudirman affects the variation of ups and downs customer satisfaction at PT Bank Muamalat Indonesia, Tbk KCU Medan Sudirman amounted to 52.6% while the remaining 47.4% was influenced by other variables not include in this study.

References

Wijaya, Tony. 2011. Manajemen Kualitas Jasa. Jakarta: Indeks.

Zainal, Veithzal Rivai, dkk. 2014. Islamic Business Management Praktek Management Bisnis Yang Sesuai Syariah Islam . Yogyakarta: Bpfe.

http://www.bankmuamalat.co.id/tabungan-consumer/tabungan-ib-muamalat/
diunduh 16 Juli 2018.

http://www.bankmuamalat.co.id/tabungan-consumer/tabungan-ib-muamalat
diunduh tanggal 22 Juli 2018.

http://www.academia.edu/30414293/Sampel uji coba instrumen penelitian metodologi penelitian diunduh 1 Agustus 2018.

https://www.viva.co.id/berita/bisnis/1025501-bank-muamalat-ungkap permasalahan-sebenarnya-di-perseroan diunduh 12 September 2018.

https://www.perbankanindonesia.com/peringkat-terbaik-bank-syariah-di indonesia diunuduh 12 September 2018.

http://www.topbrand-award.com/top-brand-survey/survey-result/top_brand_ index_2018_fase_1 diunduh 12 September 2018.
Published
2021-03-17
How to Cite
Asiah, Marlya Fatira AK, & Rizal Agus. (2021). PENGARUH HARGA DAN KUALITAS PRODUK SEBAGAI PENENTU KEPUASAN NASABAH PT BANK MUAMALAT INDONESIA, TBK KCU MEDAN SUDIRMAN. Jurnal Bilal: Bisnis Ekonomi Halal, 1(2), 1-10. https://doi.org/10.51510/bilal.v1i2.187

Most read articles by the same author(s)